Tuesday, January 11, 2011

V&A Tour with Glenn Adamson and Camera-less Photography

Even though the tour was fast paced and there was a lot of information all at once I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glenn Adamson was down to earth, not really what I expected. He explained everything really well..clear and concise. I was impressed by the room we started in, full of the direct casts of classical sculpture. The David sculpture was extremely monumental, I never realize it was so tremendous. The ceramics room was overwhelmingly full. The idea of having a resident in that fish tank/bubble is awesome, currently it is Pheobe Cummings. However, personally I would hate it because I would be bothered by all the people coming in and asking questions- I feel like I would never get any work done. The modern and post modern room was probably my favorite. It turns out I guess I really like product design.

The show Shadow Catchers: Camera-Less Photography was sooo awesome. By the end of the exhibition I was completely inspired and motivated to work more with camera less techniques like photograms, chemigrams, dye deconstruction. The gelatin silver prints were so much more compelling than the c prints by Garry Fabia Miller. I was drawn most to Susan Derges's and Adam Fuss's works. Derges explores the idea that natural patterns are the signs of deeply hidden affinities, visible signs that point to the invisible. I especially liked her tadpole series. Fuss's snake photogram was so simple but so beautiful. I never realized photograms could be dynamic and painterly. In the video Adam Fuss said something that I really identified with, "It is possible to make pictures without needing the outside world as a subject." I think photography is often looked at as a recording or capturing device and not as a creative medium. This exhibition has helped break down that strict mold, showing that photography or at least photographic techniques can be fluid, painterly, unique and creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment