Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saatchi Gallery

I wish we had more time at the Saatchi Gallery because there was a lot of interesting art there and I felt like I wasn't able to see everything. The first piece that I was attracted to was David Brian Smith's Great Expectations-Wow painting. It looked like he embroidered or stitched through the canvas but it was the use of particular brushstrokes that gave this illusion. The light, almost pastel color palette was intriguing and didn't seem to fit with the subject matter,which was a Shepard and his sheep. I don't exactly know why but this piece spoke to me but it made me think differently about painting. It made me want to paint. Tessa Farmer's work was so interesting. I think everyone took their time to admire her work. In a glass case, bugs were hung from the top and tiny creatures rode on their backs and also hung from the top. The ability to work in such minuscule scale boggles my mind. Toby Ziegler's work caught my attention, I appreciated the graphic quality and the way he produced landscapes through geometric shapes. After researching Idiris Khan I wasn't as impressed with his work. Originally I thought his photos were gelatin silver, large format, multiple exposure prints but they are actually all digital. I do like how they look like charcoal drawings from a distance. Maurizio Anzeri's series was so awesome- the old photographs that he embroidered. Another one of my favorites was Clarisse D'Arcimoles's photo series. She paired old family photographs with new constructed images of the same person and place. The subtle difference and starking simliarites are so interesting. I also have a soft spot of old family photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment