Saturday, January 8, 2011

Serpentine Gallery

The Serpentine Gallery was frustrating at first because I didn't realize the exhibition was motion and sound activated. Once I got a hang of it though it was awesome! Phillipe Parreno's videos were amazing quality. I became so invested in them right away. The imagery was utterly beautiful. I think the No More Reality clip didn't fit in with the rest of the piece, it seemed unnecessary. I got a sense of reality vs dreams/fiction even without the help of that video. Also, there was an underlying tone of loneliness throughout the videos. My favorite was Invisible Boy, the music was really effective and the imagery was interesting. I was so intrigued by the light drawings of the creatures, I wonder how that was accomplished. Even though June 8, 1968 was filmed beautifully and the costuming was great, it reminded me way too much of M. Night Shymalan's The Happening and I absolutely abhor that movie with a passion. The Boy from Mars was awesome but I think it had a slightly different feel than the other two. It was slower paced, it seemed more thoughtful like it was searching from something. The Devendra Banhart song was so chilling and moving and exciting at the end. The way the sound traveled to move you throughout the space was effective. I wasn't too impressed by the Tom Hunter A Palace for Us film because I think I expected more or something different because of his photos that were up at the Purdy/Hicks gallery. It just didn't resonate with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment