Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Turner Prize 2010

I think the Turner Prize was a good exhibition to see on our first day here in London. I know a lot of people were extremely tired from the trip, including myself but the Turner Prize exhibition provided an intimate experience for viewing exciting British art. Because there were only four artists I was able to focus all my attention and appreciate each body of work. Ultimately, I found Susan Philipsz work to be the most compelling.

Dexter Dalwood's paintings are intresesting, especially the way he plays with the idea of space by using flat planes. His color pallette changes throughout each peice and some are definitely more successful than others. David Kelly stood out to me the most, its vibrancy and simplicity are beautiful.

The Gtolith Group's work is unique and incorporates film, photoworks and sound. It is more of an experience than viewing canvases on a wall. However, it was difficult to understand the whole installation as there were so many people crowded into one room. The number of TVs was also a bit overwhelming. The black walls and white quotes were compelling. If I were able to experience this peice by myself I think I would have understood and appreciated it more.

I enjoyed Angela De La Cruz' idea more so than her physical work. This type of art can be considered sculptural paintings. She mainulates and destroyes canvases. I think she could have pushed her peices further by including more color and deterioation of the canvases but I do appreciate the sculptural element of each peice.

Last but not least was Susan Philipsz work. The audio installation was profound, unique and compelling. It changed the physical space of the room by bringing a private enviornment into a public almost sterile setting. The slight differences in the timing of the sounds/speakers added an almost 3 dimensional quality to sound( if that is even possible). The song was relaxing and reverberted not only within the room but my mind and heart as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment